FITNESS + SELF DEFENSE + COMMUNITY + FUN = BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU!
- Fitness – Achieve gains in strength, endurance, flexibility, balance and mobility to get in shape and stay in shape;
- Self Defense – Learn to protect yourself in unarmed combat situations;
- Community – Join a community of individuals committed to self-improvement and surround yourself with the energy that comes from consistent positive change;
- Fun – Enjoy the confidence and camaraderie derived as a result of training!
Features and Benefits of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu:
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a highly effective martial art for men, women, and children. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu relies on leverage, timing, and proper technique to overcome larger, stronger, and more aggressive opponents. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a sophisticated grappling system, which includes throws, hold downs, and submissions. It can be practiced recreationally, or competitively, at all ages. Regular practice encourages a high level of physical fitness, increased coordination, a developed problem solving ability, and camaraderie.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a powerful system of self-defense, it forms the basis for the U.S. Army’s Modern Combatives program, it is considered a foundational discipline for professional mixed martial artists, and many of the techniques are also well suited for women’s self-defense situations. While speed and strength will always be factors in physical altercations, a well-trained Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner, male or female, will be able to negate much of his/her opponent’s power through the use of proper technique, leverage, and timing.
There are many benefits to the study of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fosters positive changes in character that have beneficial effects in a wide set of contexts by encouraging perseverance, integrity, courage and responsibility:
- BJJ provides the most effective means of self-defense available, so students build confidence in themselves.
- BJJ teaches individual responsibility since students face opponents alone, both in training and in competition.
- BJJ encourages students to grow in their ability to participate in a group working toward a common goal since students cannot grow in skill without a team of training partners upon whom they depend for development.
- BJJ cultivates perseverance, since it takes time and consistent effort for students to develop effective grappling skills.
- BJJ instills a strong work ethic since students quickly learn that there are no secret techniques that will substitute for hard work and sweat.
- BJJ teaches students to judge others’ ability by their actual substance, rather than superficial elements, such as external appearance.
- BJJ encourages its practitioners to tackle problems through the use of strategy rather than brute strength and aggression: There is a tremendous sense of problem solving in the art.
- BJJ enables students to develop courage and grow emotionally and since students must confront and overcome the inevitable failures and mistakes that will occur during the course of training and competing.